User researcher personalised and immersive media services
Apply before 31 Oct 2023
SMIT (Studies on Media, Innovation and Technology) is a research centre of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel. It is part of the Faculty of Economic and Social Sciences, Department of Communication Studies and is also part of imec, Flanders’ leading strategic research institute for nanotechnology and ICT innovation. For over 25 years, imec-SMIT has specialised in socio-economic and policy research on ICT innovation in Media, Cities and Healthcare. Our team consists of nearly 100 senior and junior researchers with a wide diversity of backgrounds and nationalities.
Description of the research domain:
In the research domain of personalised and immersive media services, we participate in the creation of the media offerings of the future. For our current and future research projects on personalised and immersive media, we are looking for a user researcher who will conduct living lab user research on new media applications. Specifically, you will collaborate on a European media project on immersive books. Our research results will contribute to the concrete development of innovative digital media services that can strengthen the European media market.
- User research on personalised media services using a living lab methodology. Specifically, this includes:
- desk-research and literature review;
- qualitative research methods such as in-depth interviews and group discussions, co-creation workshops with users, prototype testing, etc.
- quantitative research methods such as surveys and experiments.
- Daily project management and reporting
- Writing of project reports and academic publications
- Presenting research at workshops, events and conferences
- A dynamic and stimulating working environment with entrepreneurial young scientists and experienced senior staff members in an international setting
- Quality, innovative research into forward-looking services
- Support from experienced senior researchers
- Opportunity to obtain a PhD
- Attractive remuneration package with fringe benefits
- A full-time employment contract for eight months (with a chance of extension)
Please send your application with full CV and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31/08/2023.
- Master’s degree in Communication Studies, Sociology, Political Science, Social Sciences, Language and Literature or similar. What is also possible: a Master in Engineering or Computer Science with demonstrated interest in non-technical aspects of ICT
- Good knowledge, or willingness to improve knowledge, of ICT, new media and innovative technology
- Knowledge of/experience with qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Able to work independently, good self-management, good planning skills
- Open and flexible attitude in a dynamic working environment with a diversity of professional and non-professional interlocutors
- Analytical thinking skills and interest in developing academic writing skills
- Excellent academic results for Bachelor and/or Master studies
- Excellent written and spoken knowledge of English, written and spoken knowledge of Dutch is a plus