Junior Researcher – Film distribution & policy in European markets
Apply before 15 Feb 2023
SMIT (Studies on Media, Innovation and Technology) is a research center of the Faculty of Social and Economic Sciences at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel. SMIT is a core research group of imec, Europe’s leading research institute on nanotechnology and digital innovation.
For more than 30 years, imec-SMIT specializes in economic, living lab and policy research on ICT innovation in Media, Smart Cities, and Healthcare. Our team consists of over 100 senior and junior researchers with a wide variety of disciplinary backgrounds and nationalities.
You will work/be engaged on the European, interdisciplinary “CresCine – increasing the international competitiveness of the film industry in small European markets” (Horizon Europe, 2023-2026), in collaboration with professionals from the film industry and researchers from other universities in Europe. Your focus will be on analyzing film distribution and exhibition in European small markets, the impact of platforms on film industries and how policy has evolved to promote innovation and support distribution. In collaboration with the team of researchers from SMIT involved in the project, you will have possibility to write academic publication and present the research findings at academic conferences and industry events.
- Interviews and active observation with film professionals
- Analysis of film policy (distribution, innovation) at local, national and EU levels
- Practical development of research set-up
- Daily project management and reporting to coordinator
- Working on a PhD-trajectory is not required but definitely a possibility
- Master’s degree in communication sciences, economics, management, political sciences or similar with outstanding academic results
- Knowledge of film industry and good affinity with audiovisual industries
- Good knowledge of social science research methodologies (both qualitative and quantitative) or prepared to acquire this knowledge in a short timeframe
- Able to work independently, good self-management and planning skills
- Flexible attitude when working in a dynamic environment with a variety of professional interlocutors
- Analytical thinking and strong communication skills in English (including academic writing skills)
- A stimulating, fun, and international work environment with enterprising young researchers and experienced research staff to help you grow
- The chance to conduct innovative research that combines theory and practice
- An attractive remuneration package
- A full-time contract for 1 year, which can be renewed and extended upon positive evaluation. The possibility of a PhD track can also be discussed at that moment
How to apply
Send your CV and letter of motivation to Wim Cloots (firstname.lastname@example.org), as soon as possible, before 15/02/2023. For more information on the research content contact Heritiana Ranaivoson (email@example.com).