Junior Researcher – Fairness in the music industry
Apply before 15 Feb 2023
SMIT (Studies on Media, Innovation and Technology) is a research center of the Faculty of Social and Economic Sciences at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel. SMIT is also a core research group of imec, Europe’s leading research institute on nanotechnology and digital innovation.
For more than 30 years, imec-SMIT specializes in economic, living lab and policy research on ICT innovation in Media, Smart Cities, and Healthcare. Our team consists of over 100 senior and junior researchers with a wide variety of disciplinary backgrounds and nationalities.
Your research will be part of the European, interdisciplinary FairMusE project (Promoting Fairness of the Music Ecosystem in a Platform-Dominated and Post-Pandemic Europe), in collaboration with professionals from the music industry and researchers from all over Europe. Your focus will be on analysing the music industry’s supply side, the role of data as key economic assets, and the challenges raised by the growing domination of platforms and their algorithms in terms of fairness and value of music.
- Interviews and surveys with music professionals
- Analysis of music industry’s value network and business models
- Exploratory quantitative analysis of online music streaming offers
- Literature review
- Practical development of research set-up
- Daily project management and reporting to coordinator
- Working on publications (peer-reviewed journal articles, book chapters) and presenting research findings internally and to a broader academic community
- Working on a PhD-trajectory is not required but definitely a possibility.
- A stimulating, fun, and international work environment with enterprising young researchers and experienced research staff to help you grow
- The chance to conduct innovative research that combines theory and practice
- An attractive remuneration package
- A full-time contract for 1 year, which can be renewed and extended upon positive evaluation. The possibility of a PhD track can also be discussed at that moment.
- Master’s degree in communication sciences, economy, management, political sciences or similar with outstanding academic results
- Knowledge of and affinity with the music sector is a strong asset
- Good knowledge of social science research methodologies (both qualitative and quantitative) or prepared to acquire this knowledge in a short timeframe
- Able to work independently, good self-management and planning skills
- Flexible attitude when working in a dynamic environment with a variety of professional interlocutors
- Interdisciplinary mindset
- Analytical thinking and strong communication skills in English (including academic writing skills)
How to apply
Send your CV and letter of motivation to Wim Cloots (firstname.lastname@example.org), as soon as possible, before 15/02/2023. For more information on the research content contact Heritiana Ranaivoson (email@example.com).