Training 5: Mergers and acquisitions in media, telecommunications and ICT markets (12/02 – 14/02)
The buying and selling of assets, the creation of joint ventures, and huge acquisitions are key to today’s media and communication markets. Why is that the case? What is driving M&A activity in media, electronic communications, social media, ICT and platform markets? Do we seen an intensification of M&A activity or is what we observe business as usual?
In this training participants will get a better idea of the importance of mergers and acquisitions as a business strategy to increase competitiveness in a digital media landscape. Why do mergers and acquisitions make sense? How do they help to create scale and add to diversification of activities? How is this linked to platformisation? How do companies in media content, infrastructure, ICT, in social media, etc. shape their mergers and acquisition strategies? And how are business agreements transposed into clear contracts? These questions are addressed by academics and industry experts.
Training 5: Mergers and acquisitions as business strategy in media markets
For those that are following the full programme training 5 is elective.
If you want to register for this training only, you have the option between a 1, 2 or 3 day programme.
- Understanding the economic characteristics of media and related industries that drive mergers and acquisitions.
- Provide insight into the evolutions and trends regarding mergers and acquisitions in markets such as media, electronic communications, social media and ICT.
- Create a better understanding of the underlying motivations of companies to engage in mergers and acquisitions.
- Give participants a look behind the screens with the ones responsible for mergers and acquisitions strategies within companies explaining how such a strategy is developed and implemented.
- Immerse participants in the corporate contracts that close the deals between buyers and targets.
- Inspire participants to develop a M&A strategy with a concrete buyer and target company in mind.
Cases and topics:
- Definition of mergers and acquisitions.
- Elaboration of media concentration, horizontal, vertical and diagonal mergers and acquisitions.
- Trends regarding mergers and acquisitions in media and related markets.
- Mergers and acquisition regulation at the European and national level.
- Concrete mergers and acquisitions strategies of companies such as Liberty Global (assets in + 14 countries) and Mediahuis (assets in Belgium, the Netherlands, Ireland).
- Mergers and acquisitions contract law.
- Prof. Dr Karen Donders (VUB)
- Prof. Dr. Tom Evens (UGent)
- Prof. Dr. Ben Van Rompuy (Leiden University)
- Mr. Dieter Nieuwdorp (Telenet)
- Mr. Filip Deschouwer (Cresco business law firm)
- Mr. Paul Mertens (LGI, Telenet)
- Johan Huysmans (MediaHuis)
Date12 Feb 2020 — 13 Dec 2019
09:30 - 17:30
Close to public transport (Station Etterbeek)
Car parking available
day 1What is M&A in media? What are its drivers? Some core figures on media? - Prof. Dr. Karen Donders
day 1Waves of M&A in media, telecoms, social media and platforms - Prof. Dr. Tom Evens
day 1European regulation of M&A activity - Prof. Dr. Ben Van Rompuy
day 2Telenets M&A strategy - Mr. Dieter Nieuwdorp
day 2How to translate a M&A deal into a contract? - Mr. Filip Deschouwer
day 2Case to be confirmed
day 2Case to be confirmed
day 3Workshop and exercise
- No downloads available for this event.