Media Innovation Project Manager–– Full time 1 year renewable – Subject to approval of the Project
Apply before 30 Jun 2019
Are you passionate about the future of journalism, innovation in media and how to develop cross-border cooperation between media outlets in Europe?
Come join us to implement a training and exchange programme for media professionals that will help you test and grow your skills.
WHO WE ARE
- ABOUT SMIT-VUB/International Relations office
The Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) is a competitive, high-quality, socially committed and internationally oriented university located in Brussels, Belgium. It counts 4 campuses in the Brussels Capital Region, 8 faculties and 193 research groups around 9 strategic research clusters.
The VUB’s Department of Communication Studies organises Bachelor and Master programmes in this discipline and strongly focuses on the European dimension of communication and information. Since 2011-2012, the Department organises an international Master on New Media and Society in Europe, and from 2014-2015 an international Master on European Journalism and Media. These educational programmes are supported by research executed in the specialized research center on Studies, Media, Innovation and Technology (SMIT).
SMIT, Studies on Media Innovation and Technology, was established in 1990 and is located at VUB’s Humanities, Sciences and Engineering Campus. With a staff of over 80 researchers, and an annual turnover of well over 5 M€, SMIT has been a pivotal player in fundamental, applied and contract research, including European research and innovation actions with 22 projects under Horizon 2020. The research centre has a recognized track record in social-scientific research on media and ICT, with an emphasis on innovation, policy and socio-economic questions. To understand the mutual shaping of technological, societal and individual processes, SMIT’s research combines user, policy and business analysis with both quantitative and qualitative research methodologies.
The International Relations office (IRMO) is a central dept. that provides input with regard to university policy in general and university international policy in particular. The office is responsible for the operationalisation and implementation of the university policy decisions as to reach the strategic goals with regard to Internationalisation. Major tasks are a.o. the identification of collaboration opportunities with international partners, agreements, management of international scholarship programmes, Erasmus+ cooperation and mobility projects, development cooperation, international marketing and recruitment, student refugee programme, welcoming international students.
- ABOUT FONDATION EURACTIV
Fondation EURACTIV, set up in 2004 as a ‘Fondation d’utilité publique’ under Belgian law, is a think-and-do-tank dedicated to fostering a healthy media sector in Europe.
Fondation EURACTIV supports a more proactive EU media policy; advocate for media independence, media pluralism and language diversity in Europe; and promote media innovation projects for media and related stakeholders. Fondation EURACTIV does so by providing policy analysis and facilitating a dialogue between media professionals and EU stakeholders, promoting debates and best practices sharing, through conferences training programmes and workshops. We also implement projects fostering media sector’s innovation and skills, and communicate relevant news on Europe’s media via a monthly newsletter.
Training is an integral aspect of Fondation EURACTIV’s sustained growth in an era of media crisis. In past 15 years EURACTIV has trained about 1,000 people in short, medium or longer-term projects, involving mostly cross-border media cooperation.
WHAT WILL YOU DO
- You will be mainly in charge of grant administration and project management. You will be working on the exchange programme for young media professionals in the EU. Your duties will include, planning and execution of the exchange, reporting, monitoring, budget and HR.
- Depending on previous experiences and qualifications you can also be involved in communication support (website, mailing lists, internal communication).
- You will be working in close cooperation with the coordinators of the project: VUB-SMIT/International Relations office (IRMO) and the Fondation EURACTIV teams.
- With your open, communicative and service-minded attitude, you will act as a central point of contact and information for all media organisations participating in the exchange, and you will be the interface between the project coordinator, the project executive team and the project partners.
WHAT DO WE OFFER
- Full time contract for one year with possibility of renewal. Market conform remuneration and benefits package.
- Very dynamic, open and flexible working environment with young people in an international and dynamic setting.
- Opportunities for learning and self-development
WHO DO WE LOOK FOR
- Master in Business Administration, European studies, EU Project management or equivalent by experience
- Fluent in English, fluent in another EU language
- Strong eye for detail with and affinity for numbers
- Dynamic and pro-active personality with a positive and solution-oriented attitude, ability to work independently
- Service-minded, communicative and culturally sensitive
- A couple of years or more of working experience with a successful exposure to project administration and contact with clients/stakeholders, experience and knowledge of mobility schemes (E.G. Erasmus) is an advantage
- No need to be an IT wizard but a good knowledge of common Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel will be needed
- Knowledge of the EU media landscape is an advantage