International Secretariat Officer
Apply before 31 Jul 2018
SMIT (Studies on Media, Innovation and Technology) is a research center at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel. SMIT is also a core research group of imec, Europe’s leading research institute on nano-technology and digital innovation. For more than 25 years, imec-SMIT specializes in economic, living lab and policy research on ICT innovation in Media, Smart Cities, and Healthcare and consist of over 65 senior and junior researchers.
imec-SMIT hosts a number of international associations active in in the same field of expertise in its EU Hub in our Brussels office. For one of these, the Big Data Value Association AISBL (BDVA),imec-SMIT is now looking for a full time person to fulfil the tasks of International Secretariat.
BDVA is a fully self-financed non–for-profit organisation under Belgian law and is the private counterpart to the EU Commission to implement the BDV cPPP programme (Big Data Value Public Private Partnership). BDVA has almost 200 members all over Europe with a well-balanced composition of large, small and medium-sized industries as well as research organizations.
The objectives of the Association are to boost European Big Data Value research, development and innovation and to foster a positive perception of Big Data Value. In particular, BDVA aims at:
- strengthening competitiveness and ensuring industrial leadership of providers and end users of Big Data Value technology-based systems and services;
- promoting the widest and best uptake of Big Data Value technologies and services for professional and private use;
- establishing the excellence of the science base of creation of value from BIG DATA.
The Secretariat operates under the authority of the BDVA Secretary-General, who is responsible for the day-to-day administrative management of the Association.
The international Secretariat official performs the following tasks in close collaboration with the Secretary General
- Membership management:Including the management and maintenance of the register of members and all relevant documentation; day-to-day contact with members for administrative purposes; management of distribution lists; contact point for the info email account; membership updates; managing new applications for membership; producing statistics & reports for the Secretary General and the Board of Directors.
- Meetings: organisation of meetings and conference calls (e.g. Board of Directors, General Assembly, Partnership Board, Activity Groups, etc.); logistics for the meetings and conference calls; producing minutes and reports.
- Documentation: maintain a documentation repository and make it available to members and external stakeholders.
- Communications and organisation of eventsincluding website content management, newsletters, management of social media channels, production of communication materials and the organisation of seminars, conferences and summits; support the implementation of the communication strategy.
- Financial management: invoice management for memberships and events. Assist the Treasurer and Secretary General in general financial management and preparation of the annual budget.
- Support in other tasks like:production of position papers and whitepapers, development of internal surveys, etc.
- A dynamic, stimulating and challenging work environment in an international setting based in Brussels
- Flexible working conditions with opportunity for personal initiative.
- Working in a innovative sector focusing on future-oriented services
- Attractive remuneration package in accordance with the job market
- A full time, renewable contract for 1 year and longer-term career perspectives.
Please mail your CV and motivation letter as soon as possible and before July 31th to Ana Garcia Robles, indicating “BDVA Secretariat” in the subject line.
- A master degree in Social, ICT, Communication, Political or Economic Sciences, or similar University degree with additional training or education on ICTs.
- 2 to 5-year experience exposed to an international context and delivering similar functions in projects, programmes or community management.
- Strong interest in ICT research, innovation and industrial policies and European ecosystem (in particular Big Data and Artificial Intelligence). Experience in this field is a plus.
- Good communication skills with excellent written and oral English.
- Availability to travel.
- Flexibility, commitment and being able to cope with deadlines