01/04/2012 - 30/09/2014Has been initialized
Europeana Inside is a Best Practice Network funded under the ICT Policy Support Programme part of the Competitiveness and Innovation Framework Programme.
The primary objective of the Europeana Inside project is to support the Digital Agenda for Europe by achieving a lasting transformation in the quantity, scope and usability of the content available to Europeana from European cultural institutions.
Within this overall ambition, the main objectives of Europeana Inside are:
- To open up a significant critical mass of new digital cultural content from European cultural institutions for delivery to Europeana.
- To significantly simplify the process of contributing content to Europeana for cultural institutions and aggregators of all sizes and types throughout Europe,
- To help cultural institutions and aggregators overcome barriers to participation in Europeana by part-automating the workflow through which content is made available, and creating tools for the management of access and licensing,
- To build upon the framework of standards and protocols established through previous Europeana projects by ensuring that current and future generations of Collections and Digital Asset Management Software are ‘Europeana-ready’.
- To support the enrichment of metadata in Content Provider systems (and thereby deliver value to participating organisations and their users) by creating a channel for enhanced content to be re-ingested from Europeana as the central domain aggregator and point of access to local systems.
Europeana Inside will lead contribute more than 960,000 records from 15 cultural institutions and 5 national and thematic aggregators in the EU to Europeana. It will also open up the potential for more than 7000 other cultural institutions (the installed user-base of the participating Technical Partners) to deliver content to Europeana simply and easily in the future, enabling a potential contribution of more than 30 million new records.
Both iMinds-SMIT (Vrije Universiteit Brussel) and iMinds-MMLab (Universiteit Gent) participate throughout the different work packages in the project for iMinds.
Partners: Collections Trust; Knowledge Integration Ltd; Stiftung Preussischer Kulturbesitz; Zetcom AG; PostScriptum Information Architecture Ltd; Digitaal Erfgoed Nederland; System Simulation Ltd; Catholic University of Leuven; Museum of Fine Arts Budapest; KE Software Ltd; Royal Museums of Art & History; Petőfi Literary Museum; National Gallery – Alexandros Soutzos Museum; Mobydoc; Interdisciplinary Institute for Broadband Technology; Hungarian National Museum; Europeana Foundation; Adlib Informations Systems; Länsmuseet Västernorrland; Monguz Ltd; Semantika; Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences; SKINsoft Ltd; Benaki Museum; House of Images (Xantys Ltd); Ecomuseu Municipal do Seixal