The Media Economics Programme by SMIT
Capturing new opportunities in the media industry
Do you want to become an expert in diverse aspects of media economics? Are you keen on updating yourself on M&A activity, programmatic advertising, the economics of journalism, platform competition, etc.?
The Postgraduate in Media Economics is a new programme at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel. It combines facts and figures of state of the art scientific research with interesting and sometimes conflicting insights from industry experts.
Through 9 thematic and specific trainings, the Postgraduate in Media Economics aims to equip media professionals and postgraduate students with the tools to overcome the challenges and to take advantage of the opportunities of the digitalisation, in the various sectors of the media industry in Europe (and beyond).
Each training consists of 3 days:
- An academic crash course on the subject
- Industry experts share their insights from real life business cases
- A workshop putting the insights from day 1 and day 2 into practice
Build your own programme
Option 1 – Full Post Graduate programme
5 trainings, 3 days each over the course of the academic year. 30 ECTS.
The full programme is recommended for people seeking more practice and industry oriented education after having obtained their master’s degree.
We offer a 50% discount for alumni of the ‘New Media & Society in Europe’ and ‘Journalism in Europe’ programmes of the VUB.
Option 2 – Specific trainings
Select one or more specific trainings and follow either a full 3-day training or opt to attend only the lectures and/or business cases.
This option is recommended for professionals in the media sector that need to deepen their knowledge on certain subjects.
We offer company discounts for 10+ trainings.
- Basics and transformations of Media Economics (25/09 – 27/09)
- Trending technologies, blockchain and Media Economics (23/10 – 25/10)
- The interplay of Media Economics And Europan policy in a digital age (27/11 – 29/11)
- Copyright Economics before and after the new copyright directive (11/12 – 13/12)
- Mergers and acquisitions in media, telecommunications and ICT markets (12/02 – 14/02)
- Advertising in a Digital era (11/03 – 13/03)
- Cyber Security and privacy in relation to Marketing and Media Economics* (25/03 – 27/03)
- Economics of Journalism (22/04 – 24/04)
- Audiovisual Production (13/05 – 15/05)
Speakers and lecturers from the media industry
Contact and links
Do you have questions or remarks? Please contact us via email at PGMediaEconomics@vub.be.
For more detailed information:
Official registration is now open!
Click the “Register” button below to register.
Date25 Sep 2019 — 15 May 2020
Three days per training
VUB Campus, SMIT offices, Pleinlaan 9, 1050 BrusselsOpen in Google Maps
25/09 - 27/09Training 1: Basics and transformations of media economics
23/10 - 25/10Training 2: Blockchain, AI, data and media economics
27/11 - 29/11Training 3: The interplay of media economics and European policy in a digital age
11/12 - 13/12Training 4: Copyright economics before and after the new copyright directive
12/02 - 14/02Training 5: Mergers and acquisitions in media, telecommunications and ICT markets
11/03 - 13/03Training 6: Advertising in a digital era
25/03 - 27/03Training 7: Cyber Security and privacy in relation to Marketing and Media Economics (organised by BAM)*
22/04 - 24/04Training 8: Economics of journalism
13/05 - 15/05Training 9: Audiovisual production
Register for event
Full 3 day training = € 650
2 days of lectures: € 500
1 lecture day: € 250
* Training 7 is organised by BAM and follows a different pricing:
Full 3-day training: €1.440 or €1.000 for BAM members
2 days of lectures: €1.050 or €750 for BAM members
1 lecture day: €650 or €450 for BAM members