Course in Media Economics: Technology, innovation and data
This course is part of the Media Economics Programme, a new programme at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel that is organized by SMIT. The programme combines facts and figures of state of the art scientific research with interesting and sometimes conflicting insights from industry experts.
You can participate in the course through:
- the full Postgraduate programme organized by the VUB or
- the Training programme in Media Economics via SMIT.
Technology, innovation and data (course 4)
Course 4 sheds light on the interplay between recent and upcoming technological evolutions and their (possible) influence on the media industry. As the media industry takes time to catch up with technological innovations, more profound insights on phenomena like big data, internet-of-things, virtual reality and blockchain and their underlying technological building blocks are necessary.
Course 4 is an elective course for participants of the full Postgraduate programme.
- Acquire knowledge on recent and upcoming technological evolutions that might impact the media industry.
- Acquire knowledge on phenomena like big data, internet-of-things, virtual reality and blockchain and their underlying technological building blocks.
- Provide insights and best practices on how to adopt innovation as a mindset in day-to-day operations.
- Provide insights and best practices on how to capture the value of data and steer algorithms.
Cases and Topics
- Technological evolutions / disruptions
- Big data
- Over-the-top media services
- Personal data
- Virtual reality
- Prof. Dr. Laurence Claeys – Senior Researcher, imec- SMIT-VUB
- Dr. Daniel Knapp – Executive Director TMT
- Jan Bouwen – Nokia Bell Labs, Technology Vision
- Dr. Sari Depreeuw – Partner Daldewolf / Professor, USL-B
- Simon Carroll – Editor, Internet of Me
Date19 Dec 2018 — 21 Dec 2018
9:30 to 18:30
SMIT, Pleinlaan 9, 1050 Brussels - 1st floor, Weber RoomOpen in Google Maps
Dec 19 2018, 09:00-9:30Registration
Dec 19 2018, 09:30-17:30Academic Lectures
Dec 20 2018, 09:30-17:30Industry Lectures
Dec 21 2018, 09:30-17:30Exercises
Register for event
Course 4 is also part of the full Postgraduate in Media Economics programme. Participants of the Postgraduate need to register via the VUB website.