Course in Media Economics: Mergers and acquisitions
This course is part of the Media Economics Programme, a new programme at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel that is organized by SMIT. The programme combines facts and figures of state of the art scientific research with interesting and sometimes conflicting insights from industry experts.
You can participate in the course through:
- the full Postgraduate programme organized by the VUB or
- the Training programme in Media Economics via SMIT.
Mergers and acquisitions (course 8)
Course 8 sheds light on a very important aspect of the economics of media, being changes in ownership (M&A). The buying and selling of assets in the media industry is a key feature of today’s media, electronic communications, social network, ICT, retail platforms, etc. sectors. Why is that the case? What is driving M&A activity? Do we see intensifying M&A activity or is what we observe business as usual? How is a M&A operation working in practice? These and other questions are tackled in this course that combines the sometimes-legalistic aspects of M&A activity with its core economic rationale and implementation.
Course 8 is an elective course for participants of the full Postgraduate programme.
- Acquire insights into the rationale of M&A in the media industry.
- Understand the drivers of ongoing and future M&A activities.
- Know what M&A activity is going on in the media content, electronic communications and new media industries and specifically cross-sectoral trends.
- Develop own insights of what would be interesting opportunities for companies in terms of M&A.
Cases and Topics
- M&A in the media industry
- Media ownership
- M&A regulations
- Converging media sectors
- Print sector
- Electronic communication sector
- M&A strategy development
- Prof. Dr. Caroline Pauwels – Rector VUB
- Prof. Dr. Karen Donders – Assistant Professor European Media Markets & Policy Analysis / Head of Media Unit, imec-SMIT-VUB
- Prof. Dr. Ben Van Rompuy – Assistant Professor of Competition Law, Leiden University
- Dieter Nieuwdorp – SVP Strategy & Corporate Development, Telenet
- Filip De Schouwer – Managing Partner, Cresco Business Law Firm
- Prof. Dr. Tom Evens – Assistant Professor, Ghent University
Date22 May 2019 — 24 May 2019
9:30 to 18:30
SMIT, Pleinlaan 9, 1050 Brussels - 1st floor, Weber RoomOpen in Google Maps
May 22 2019, 09:00-09:30Registration
May 22 2019, 09:30-17:30Academic Lectures
May 23 2019, 09:30-17:30Industry Lectures
May 24 2019, 09:30-17:30Exercises
Register for event
Course 8 is also part of the full Postgraduate in Media Economics programme. Participants of the Postgraduate need to register via the VUB website.