Course in Media Economics: Foundations and transformations of media economics
This course is part of the Media Economics Programme, a new programme at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel that is organized by SMIT. The programme combines facts and figures of state of the art scientific research with interesting and sometimes conflicting insights from industry experts.
You can participate in the course through:
- the full Postgraduate programme organized by the VUB or
- the Training programme in Media Economics via SMIT.
Foundations and transformations of media economics (course 1)
Course 1 provides insight into the economic forces shaping the media industry. It focuses on the fundamental theoretical and applied economic frameworks that explain the industrial organisation of the media industry, the organisational behaviours of the various companies active within that industry and the strategic management theories that underpin the market choices media executives face today. The course, moreover, provides an overview of the various disruptive forces that media firms in particular and the media industry in general face that dramatically transform the way media is produced, aggregated, distributed and consumed.
Course 1 is compulsary for participants of the full Postgraduate programme.
- Obtain in-depth knowledge of the most dominant frameworks in media economics.
- Understand the core variables of the industrial organisation approach and alternative approaches.
- Understand the dynamics underlying platformisation.
- Acquire insights in the impact of technological innovations on the media markets.
Cases and Topics
- Media economic foundations
- New technoglogies in the media industry
- Over-the-top media services
- Platformization in the media industry
- New media business models
- Digital newsrooms
- Media product diversification
- Cooperation and coopetition
- Strategic media management
- Industrial Organization approach
- Prof. Dr. Pieter Ballon – Director, imec-SMIT-VUB / Brussels Smart City Ambassador
- Prof. Dr. Robert Picard – Senior Research Fellow, Reuters Institute, University of Oxford
- Dirk Wauters – Visiting Professor Innovation Management, KULeuven
- Bart Becks – Founder angel.me ventures, Executive Chairman EURACTIV
- Matt Stoller – Founder Magis.Company
- Olivier Braet – Senior Researcher, imec-SMIT-VUB
- Dr. Paul Clemens Murschetz – Associated Researcher, Austrian Academy of Sciences
- Liesbeth Van Impe – Editor in Chief, Het Nieuwsblad/De Gentenaar
- Alex Thoré – Founder Magis.Company and former Branding and Communication Director at Proximus
Date26 Sep 2018 — 28 Sep 2018
09:30 to 18:30
SMIT, Pleinlaan 9, 1050 Brussels - 1st floor, Weber RoomOpen in Google Maps
Sept 26 2018, 09:30-10:0Registration
Sept 26 2018, 10:00-17:30Academic Lectures
Sept 27 2018, 10:00-17:30Academic and Industry Lectures
Sept 28 2018, 10:00-17:30Industry Lectures
- No downloads available for this event.