iMinds-SMIT LECTURE SERIES: e-Skills for inclusion: From concepts to policy
10/10/2012 16:00 - 20:00
iMinds-SMIT, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Pleinlaan 9 (1st floor), 1050 Brussels
On Wednesday October 10, 2012, the Media and Internet Policy Unit of iMinds-SMIT, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, organizes a lecture entitled e-Skills for inclusion: From concepts to policy. Invited speakers are Doug Belshaw, Divina Frau-Meigs, Ellen Helsper and Anusca Ferrari.
The lecture consists of two parts:
1. The first part focuses on differing conceptualisations of e-skills and the various elements that each of these conceptualisations entail. Two speakers will present their theoretical views:
- Doug Belshaw (Mozilla Foundation) – a lecture based on his PhD entitled ‘What is digital literacy? A pragmatic investigation’
- Divina Frau-Meigs (University Paris 3, La Sorbonne) – on the concept of transliteracy
- Ellen Helsper (London School of Economics, Media and Communications Department) – On the relation between digital and social exclusion and the role of digital inclusion policies
- Anusca Ferrari (IPTS JRC, European Commission) – On the potential role of formal and informal learning opportunities for e-skills development, from a European policy perspective.
The lecture is meant for all those from education, academics, policy or civil society working in the field of e-skills, and aims to clarify current discussions on 1) the conceptualisation and development of e-skills; and 2) digital inclusion policies.
16:00 Registration & Welcome with coffee and cake
16:15 Introduction by Ilse Mariën (iMinds-SMIT, Vrije Universiteit Brussel)
16:30 Lecture by Doug Belshaw (Mozilla Foundation)
17:10 Lecture by Divina Frau-Meigs (University Paris 3, La Sorbonne)
18:00 Coffee break
18:20 Lecture by Ellen Helsper (London School of Economics)
19:00 Lecture by Anusca Ferrari (IPTS JRC, European Commission)
20:00 Closing reception
Lectures and debate will be held in English
Participation is free of charge, but registration is required.