International workshop - Innovation & Diversity in the Media Economy
13/11/2012 08:45 - 18:00
Promotion Room D.2.01 VUB Campus Etterbeek (Pleinlaan 2, 1050 Brussel)
The workshop aims to clarify current discussions on:
1) the conceptualization and assessment of innovation and diversity
2) their links with the economic functioning of the media industries.
It consists in four sessions:
1. The first session discusses the impact of digital technology on media diversity. Digital technology is deeply modifying how media content is produced, distributed and consumed and the resulting media diversity. The session will analyse key issues such as the migration of media companies towards multi-platform production, and the emergence of different business models allowed by digital technology.
2. The second session focuses on the audiovisual sector with presentations that propose ways to define and measure quality and innovation. Important issues discussed here will include how digitization can to some extent enable innovation and how public service broadcasters can provide more quality content.
3. After lunch, the third session is devoted to creativity and innovation in the media. The aim is to go beyond universal praise towards innovation (also in the media) to discuss conceptual challenges related to defining innovation, and its links with creativity; and the potential impact of social media.
4. The fourth and final session focuses on the measurement of media diversity. Existing methodologies to measure diversity will be discussed in particular the more and more frequent use of Stirling’s framework; as well as ways and fields to apply them, with a focus on the relation between cultural diversity and economic development.
Our list of international speakers includes:
- Shinto Teramoto (Professor, Kyushu University) - paper presentation
- Fabrice Rochelandet (Professor, Université Paris Sorbonne Nouvelle) presentation
- Katherine Champion (Dr., University of Glasgow) - paper presentation
- Mária Tajtáková (Associate professor, School of Management/City University of Seattle Trencín)
- Heritiana Ranaivoson (Senior researcher, iMinds-SMIT, Vrije Universiteit Brussel) - paper presentation
- Desrezka Larasati (LL.M. candidate, Kyushu University) presentation
- Alain Rallet (Professor, Université Paris-Sud) presentation
- Mathilde Gansemer (Researcher, Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne) - paper presentation
- Félix Ortega (Professor, University of Salamanca) - paper presentation
- Sven Lindmark (Senior researcher, iMinds-SMIT, Vrije Universiteit Brussel) presentation
- Eva Režnáková (PhD candidate at the Faculty of MassMedia, Paneuropean University, Bratislava) - paper
- Maria Masood (PhD candidate, University of Geneva) - paper presentation
- Marina Bianchi (Professor, Università di Cassino e del Lazio Meridionale) - paper presentation
We expect an audience of academics, policy or civil society working in the fields of media innovation and media diversity.
Date and Place
Tuesday, November 13th, 2012 in Brussels, organised as part of the Creative Media Days
Dr. Heritiana Ranaivoson (iMinds-SMIT, VUB), email@example.com